Friday, May 23, 2008

In which I am anal retentive and also there is a flow chart

Most of you are aware of my obsession with Let's Dish! Yes, the exclamation point is part of the name. For those of you who are unenlightened, Let's Dish! is a once-a-month cooking store/service. That's the closest I can come to explaining it. Basically, you sign up for a session online. You choose a menu. Then you go to the store and they have stations set up where you can make up to 24 meals. They have all the ingredients chopped and prepped, and you just assemble them. You freeze the meals and just pop them out of the freezer throughout the month.

I love to cook. I love diving into a recipe, losing myself in the flow of it. I love looking at a pile of random ingredients and using them to create something new and unique. What I do not love is trying to do all of this while two or three very short people are using me as a jungle gym. So I have loved Let's Dish! You go in, cook your ass off for two or three hours, and you're done for the month.

Which is why I was so supremely bummed when my local Let's Dish! stopped offering in-store sessions. They still offer what they call Dish-and-Dash. They will assemble the meals for you, and all you have to do is pick them up. I have tried it a few times, but it wasn't the same. I like being able to leave the paprika out of a dish, or add an extra pinch of cumin. I like seeing what goes in to what I am serving.

So I have decided to take the leap and do some once-a-month cooking on my own. In typical Monkeysparkets fashion, I have excessively over planned. There are color-coded spreadsheets involved. I have sticker labels and a flowchart. You are jealous, people, don't try to hide it.

My sister, who recently expressed a desire to learn how to cook, came over today to help me chop stuff I mean...partake of my culinary genius. Here is our menu:

  • Lemon Dill Salmon
  • Vegetable Lasagna
  • Mushroom chili with homemade French bread
  • Grilled Barbecue chicken
  • Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers
  • Chili Lime Grilled Chicken with Black Bean Salsa
  • Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Garlic Herb Cheese
  • Chicken Fajitas
  • Pepper Beef Stir Fry
  • Baked Beef Rotini

All together, we made thirty meals in just over five hours. So, that breaks down to a meal every ten minutes. And I won't have to cook for a month! Yee haw!

I will do a few things differently next time. I will definitely do my shopping the day before I cook so that I can get an earlier start. I also may try bi-weekly cooking, as 5 hours was a long time to be on my feet in the kitchen (and a long time for Mr. Monkeysparkets to have both of the kids). If you are interested, here a few sites with good tips and info on OAMC (ooh-acronyms!)

http://www.frugalmom.net/once_a_month_cooking.htm

http://www.once-a-month-cookingworld.com/

6 comments:

Megan said...

Where is the flow chart??!!! And how big is your freezer??

Anonymous said...

We are huge chili fans in this house. in fact, my 3-year old and I just made turkey chili for dinner tonight! I'd love your mushroom chili recipe. Sounds delicious!

Katherine Fischer said...

You guys are amazing! I want to come over for veggie lasagna night. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I too was so upset at them stopping the in-store sessions. I made sure to sign up for one of the last ones, and we've been nursing our supply of meals to make them last. I love your idea of doing it on your own, though I think the prep time to pull together a list of meals, recipes, ingredients, etc would be daunting for me. I've tried doing that for a week's worth of meals in the past and quickly gave up. It also doesn't help that DH is a super picky eater!

Anonymous said...

Oh, there were indeed color coded charts. I have seen them...but I'm too lazy to scan them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.