Sunday, February 17, 2008

Movie Review: The Lives of Others

I don't generally go for subtitled films, but I don't categorically avoid them either. I think the last one I saw was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" . I like "good" movies, but sometimes I enjoy crappy movies too. I'm pretty shameless when it comes to cheesy blockbusters and romantic comedies. I saw Titanic four times in the theater. And any movie about dancing or cheerleading has pretty much got me sold, no matter how bad.

The Lives of Others is a "good" movie; by which I mean that "critics and people who take movies seriously liked it". I like "good" movies, too, as long as they are not overly dark or disturbing. Screw that. I don't watch movies to become disturbed. The one possible exception being Donnie Darko, which was just disturbing enough.

And, wow, I just realized that I have no idea how to write a film review. The Lives of Others was a great one. You should see it. It does have some nudity during sex scenes, which usually really turns me off. But this was tastefully done and not gratuitous. But if that's a deal breaker for you, be warned. You can follow the link above to read reviews by some actual review-y types. If you're looking for a movie that will get stuck in your head all day (and make you very very grateful that you do not live in 1980's East Germany) I recommend it.

UPDATE: If you follow the link above to the Rotten Tomatoes page, do NOT read the full synopsis of the movie, as it pretty much gives away the entire plot. How crummy!

No comments: