Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Toddlers + Too much rain = Crazy

Well I am working on a hugegantic post about my weekend, but I wanted to quickly share a super fun activity that we just discovered.

First off, I want to say that I love my job. I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing every day than taking care of my family. But today was just one of those days. Isaac was nuts because he missed his morning nap, and Bella was nuts because the weather was bad and she hadn't been outside all day. I was just nuts, and we were all feeding off of each other's moods. You could cut the crazy with a knife around here.

The solution? Pudding painting! Now I am sure that many an innovative Mommy has come up with this idea before, but it was a new one for us. I took off the kid's shirts, put Bella at the table with a cup of pudding and a pastry brush, and let her go to town. I put Isaac in his high chair and opened a tub of Gerber sweet potatoes and let him do the same. They painted the tables, chairs, themselves, and each other. They had so much fun.

I'll admit I had to hog-tie my inner neat freak and sit on her for about twenty minutes. You can't start a mess like that and then expect to keep it under control. I kept finding myself saying, "No no...not in your...oh my...not the...aw, hell..."

But you know what? Totally worth it. By the time they were done and bathed, we were like a different family. And I have an ace up my sleeve for this afternoon. We are going to blow up the air mattress and jump around on it, then build a fort. Did I mention that I love my job?

So how do you pass your rainy days? I'd love to hear any suggestions. I'm running low on pudding.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, excuse me, but are you and your children too good for shaving cream art? Where is the LOVE?

monkeysparkets said...

Shaving cream is not quite as edible as pudding. Maybe when she is a little older and better grasps the concept of "NOT in the mouth!"

audra said...

We have not thought of pudding paint but I will definitely remember that when we are stuck inside with the cold. We did shaving cream art when I taught preschool and it was a lot of fun, but we need to wait a little longer as well, Maggie is still trying to eat soap. Where are the pictures?

Anonymous said...

You are braver than I am! I'd be afraid it wouldn't stay in the kitchen, and I'd end up with stained carpet, sofa, etc. On rainy days, Colin likes to play board games. But they don't hold Jacen's attention for very long. Nothing holds his attention for very long....

Jen M

Megan said...

I love the library - nothing like free books! The one near me has puzzles and stuff for the little little ones too!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..I may try to convince my roomates to do something similiar...except maybe we will film it and sell it for a lucrative profit...

-Julia